The Rule to Live By: Always Drink 100% Blue Agave Tequila

The Rule to Live By: Always Drink 100% Blue Agave Tequila

If asked about their first experience with tequila, unfortunately, most folks do not have a positive story to tell. That infamous bottle of gold labeled liquid could be passed around a table like a torch, each person reliving those not so fond memories. How can this experience be so similar for so many people? And how is it that we’ve come to love and enjoy the good Tequila the way we do now?

Our answer lies in a simple distinction between two categories: Tequila Mixtos and 100% Blue Agave Tequila. Choosing products with the latter on the label is the number one rule in quality Tequila selection. Selecting anything missing this label, may send you back to those not-so-good ol’ days. 

Tequilas that say 100% Blue Agave on the label are spirits made from just that, 100% Blue Agave. Tequila Mixtos on the other hand, are only required to be made from 51% Blue Agave sugars, and the other 49% can be made from any other kind of sugar. Doesn’t sound too bad when we say it that way but let’s break it down a little bit further and see why we really want to stay away from those mixto tequilas.

Mixing Alcohols

We’ve all had those nights where we start with a nice cocktail, maybe bourbon based, and switch to red wine for dinner. The next morning, crawling out of bed, head pounding, we wonder where we went wrong. Mixing alcohol has generally been accepted as a bad idea and with mixto tequilas, it happens right away, in every single drink that you consume. In addition to the sugary mixers they are usually paired with, you’re teeing yourself up for a bad time.


All tequilas are allowed to add 4 different kinds of additives up to 1% of volume: sugar-based syrup, glycerin, oak extract, and caramel color. Most 100% agave brands say “absolutely not” to this allowance, instead relying on quality of agave, process, and barrels when aged. Mixtos, on the other hand, use them as a crutch to hide the defects in the production process and less than desired flavors. These additional sugars, artificial flavors, and chemicals make your body feel just like they do in any other product: not so hot.

The lesson: Keep it pure

Just as we want to keep our food local, unprocessed, and of the highest quality, the same applies to beverages. The best tequilas are made from just agave and water. 

Where can I find good Tequila?

Wherever you see a bottle that says 100% Blue Agave Tequila! Whether at a bar, liquor store, or in our online marketplace, as long as you stick with our #1 rule. You are in the clear.

Of course there are top shelf tequilas vs not. Here at Sip Tequila we only stock the highest rated tequila brands and tequila tasting boxes so head to the store and take your pick!

Reading next

How Premium Tequilas Age
Types of Tequila