Ilegal Mezcal Anejo
About the Brand
Why we love Ilegal Mezcal Añejo
- Aged for 13 months in a blend of American and French oak
- Beautiful sipping mezcal rivaling fine añejo and extra añejo Tequilas, scotches, and cognacs
- Mezcal for those who thought they'd never like mezcal
- Flavor profile for Tequila lovers that is agave forward, with a warm, round mouthfeel
- Produced in Oaxaca, Mezcal
- Slight peaty notes followed with full agave sweetness and fruit notes from the Espadin
- 80 Proof / 40% ABV
- Bottle Size: 750mL
Aroma: cooked agave, roasted pears, clove, orange peel
Palate: maple, sweet agave, vanilla, caramel, dark chocolate, with a full, nearly creamy, round mouthfeel
Finish: soft and smooth with hints of oak and mesquite
About Ilegal TequilaAround 2004, Ilegal’s founder John Rexer began bringing mezcal down from Oaxaca to Antigua, Guatemala to supply his bar, Café No Sé. Sourcing unbranded mezcal from a variety of villages in Oaxaca including: Tlacolula, San Lorenzo, Sola De Vega, Santa Catarina Minas, Hierve el Agua, Santiago Matatlan and a few others, Ilegal mezcal was born.
Ilegal mezcal, named for its illicit beginnings, is made in Oaxaca and certified Artisanal by the CRM. They are one of the few mezcals that ages their expressions, and takes pride in their reposado and añejo profiles. You’ll find hints of smoke right behind a mouthful of sweet agave.