Ilegal Mezcal Reposado
About the Brand
Why we love Ilegal Mezcal Reposado
- A mezcal for those who thought they’d never like mezcal!
- Agave forward like a Tequila with smoke notes more similar to smoky chiles or tobacco
- Great for sipping, as well as cocktails
- Aged 4 months in American Oak barrels
- Flavor profile full of orange, vanilla, caramel, and citrus
- Produced in the state of Oaxaca, Mexico
- 80 Proof / 40% ABV
Aroma: citrus, caramel, light hints of dried chipotle peppers
Palate: sweet roasted agave, orange, smooth vanilla, very well balanced between sweetness and essence of smoke
Finish: glossy and lasting, very refined without a bite
About Ilegal MezcalAround 2004, Ilegal’s founder John Rexer began bringing mezcal down from Oaxaca to Antigua, Guatemala to supply his bar, Café No Sé. Sourcing unbranded mezcal from a variety of villages in Oaxaca including: Tlacolula, San Lorenzo, Sola De Vega, Santa Catarina Minas, Hierve el Agua, Santiago Matatlan and a few others, Ilegal mezcal was born.
Ilegal mezcal, named for its illicit beginnings, is made in Oaxaca and certified Artisanal by the CRM. They are one of the few mezcals that ages their expressions, and takes pride in their reposado and añejo profiles. You’ll find hints of smoke right behind a mouthful of sweet agave.