La Luna Bruto Mezcal
About the Brand
Why we love La Luna Bruto Mezcal
- This agave is low in sugar content, but massive and thus results in earthy, woody, leather-like flavors dotted with bright tastes of citrus, peppercorn, herbs, and berries
- Made in the Etucuaro, Michoacan municipality of Villa Madero at Destiladora La Azucenas by Maestro Mezcaleros Adan Perez and Edgar “Jigy” Perez
- Produced from wild agave harvested in the hills of Cotija, Ucasiro, and Patzcuaro, cooked for 168 hours, rested for 288 hours, and fermented for 192 hours
- Artisanal production using pulque for fermentation and traditional copper and pine stills
- Mezcaleros at La Luna are aided by apprentices training to lead the next generation in mezcal
- 92.24 proof / 46.12% ABV
- Bottle Size: 750mL
Aroma: smoked leather, citrus zest, wet earth, sage
Palate: butter, leather, smoke, black pepper, grilled stone fruits, pineapple, bright herbs
Finish: lasting and full bodied, the finish on this mezcal lasts for minutes, evolving from smoky and meaty to fruity and herbal in the last of it
About La Luna MezcalProduced in the verdant and mountainous regions of Michoacan, La Luna Mezcal highlights the craftsmanship of generations of family practices producing artisanal and ancestral mezcal. Michoacan is one of the most abundant states in Mexico, from the sandy coast to the peaks of the sierras, and is filled with tradition, culture, and history.
Agaves, both wild, and semi-cultivated, grow at elevations over 2000 meters and are harvested under the full moon after reaching maturity. Piñas are roasted with estate sourced white oak in stone lined earthen pits and fermented in open-air wooden vats. La Luna uses traditional copper cazo and pinewood stills for Manso Sahuayo but also has vinatas using clay pot stills.
Proprietor Salvador Chavez, born in Michoacan, and raised as a teenager in Sonoma, California, returned to his family’s heritage and began importing and producing mezcal in 2017. His family produces mezcal and local cheeses, and helps oversee operations. La Luna strives for strong human impact in Michoacan by contracting with family growers of agave and contracting with mezcaleros for the portfolio.
- At Sip Tequila, each bottle is handpicked to meet the highest of quality standards and authenticity.
HAVE A QUESTION?
- Get in touch. We are here to help! CONTACT US