There are many different types of Tequila to try, but we especially recommend selecting a Blanco if you want to experience Tequila in its most genuine form. Luckily, we have plenty of Blanco recommendations to ensure you get the most out of every sip. Discover some of the best Blanco Tequila brands, cocktail inspirations, food pairing recommendations and more!
What Is Blanco Tequila?
Also known as Plata or silver Tequilas, Blanco Tequilas are the purest expression of agave. They're unaged (they can be rested for up to two months, no more, but this isn't a very common practice) then bottled immediately following distillation.
Although these are the first Tequilas that most people try, they're actually the most sophisticated to appreciate. Sometimes we refer to them as “chefs' tequilas” because there are so many flavors and sensations involved, chefs with advanced palates love to enjoy them. Don't be worried if your first experience sipping a blanco neat is overwhelming, often Tequila adventurers start with an aged expression and then work their way back to blancos over time. The wine tasting approach of “lighter to darker” doesn't exactly apply to Tequila ;)
Blancos can be herbal forward with notes of citrus and pepper, along with a touch of agave sweetness, but they can also be creamy with backbones of stone-fruit and honey. Their light, delicate flavors give them an aspect of diversity in which they can be enjoyed neat or mixed into a citrus-forward cocktail.
Like any other Tequila, this spirit must be distilled in one of Mexico's five regions — Jalisco being the best known — to qualify as true Tequila. The Blue Weber Agave, which is used to make authentic Tequila, is native to Jalisco and its surrounding regions.
Top Blanco Tequila Brands From Sip Tequila
You may have already experienced Don Julio Blanco, Patrón Silver, or even Casamigos but here at Sip Tequila, we offer a wide array of blanco Tequilas to try that you can't find on just any back bar. Our collection includes a variety of Plata Tequilas from high-quality brands. Here are some of the best Blanco Tequilas to drink.
1. Compoveda Blanco
Created by one of the hottest up and coming distillers in the industry, Sergio Cruz at NOM 1414, Compoveda Blanco contains unique flavors of ripe stone fruits, cooked agave, vanilla and lemonade for a tantalizing sip. Compoveda stems from the two Spanish words compartir — “to share” — and boveda, which means “a private vault."
As the name suggests, this sipping Tequila was created with sharing in mind. Polished, smooth and custom-crafted, you'll find fresh notes of citrus, minerality and full-bodied mouthfeel in this blanco. In addition to being created only from agaves grown in the highland region, Cruz adds a finishing touch called oxygenation that helps round out any harsh corners after distillation. This is a great place to start if you are new to the Tequila world, or an experienced aficionado looking for a modern approach to a highland expression.
2. Mijenta Blanco
Mijenta Blanco packs delicious notes of peach, vanilla, caramel, pepper, melon and honey. In the finish you'll find bits of bright cinnamon and fresh herbs, making it a full journey in a glass and will surely have you pouring another. Mijenta comes from the Spanish phrase “mi gente” which means “my people,” referring to a like-minded community of Tequila sippers celebrating life together.
The brand also prides itself on sustainable practices, reducing its carbon footprint at each production stage and optimizing its energy efficiency. Its paper-based components come from agave waste, and it purchases all packaging elements from Mexico to support local businesses. When you indulge in a crisp glass of Mijenta Blanco, you can enjoy Tequila from a brand that values the environment and its community.
3. Solento Organic Blanco
Solento Organic Blanco Tequila starts off with warm vanilla notes and ends with a tangy lime finish. Its notes of cracked pepper, green agave, herbs and sweet citrus blossoms are sure to delight the palate.
Solento uses organic and sustainable practices to deliver delicious flavors in modern packaging. Partnering with Jalisco's award-winning distillery, Las Americas, the Montes family has successfully produced sustainably maintained, blue agave Tequila for over 60 years. Enjoy a production process that values the environment and herbal, citrusy aromas when you purchase a bottle of Solento's organic Blanco.
4. Wild Common Blanco
Wild Common Blanco boasts floral, herbal and cooked agave notes with a wonderfully round mouthfeel. It's no surprise that Wild Common is among our most popular brands. It features foundations on both sides of the Mexico-U.S. border, committed to traditional methods — reflected in the brand's slogan “Nothing Added, Nothing Lost” — as well as modern sustainability.
Wild Common has earned favor with agave connoisseurs and new Tequila sippers alike. No matter where you are in your Tequila journey, we highly recommend a bottle of Wild Common Blanco for an intriguing sip.
Blanco Tequila Mixed Drink Ideas
If you're thinking of blending a crisp, refreshing Blanco Tequila into your next cocktail, here are four mixed drink ideas to get you started.
- Jardín-a-rita: Blending ingredients like freshly squeezed lime juice, agave nectar, fresh cilantro leaves and Blanco Tequila, a crisp Jardín-a-rita on the rocks is a delightful reminder of springtime. Feel free to swap out cilantro for any herb you please, whether basil, tarragon or mint.
- Paloma: This easy Paloma Tequila cocktail combines Blanco Tequila, grapefruit soda and freshly squeezed lime juice for a sweet summertime beverage. Don't forget to salt the rim and garnish you drink with a lime wedge!
- The Perfect Margarita: This is a must know recipe for Tequila fans, and ingredients can be substituted to customize however you'd like. We love this version from Wild Common as a place to start.
- Bees Knees: Traditionally made with gin, a well crafted Bee's Knees also takes kindly to a Blanco Tequila. Try this spin from Solento that incorporates sage as well.
Best Food Pairings With Blanco Tequila
If you're looking for tasty dishes to pair with a glass of Blanco Tequila, below are some of our favorite combinations for an ideal balance of flavor:
- Fish and chicken tacos: Blanco Tequila with fish or chicken tacos creates the ideal combo of white Tequila with similarly light or spicy preparations.
- Ceviche and sushi: Raw seafood can complement natural agave flavors surprisingly well, making Blanco Tequila a delicious pairing with ceviche and sushi.
- Grilled vegetables: Grilled vegetables tossed with citrus like lemon or lime taste incredible with a light Blanco.
- Citrus fruit: Citrus fruits like oranges, lemon and grapefruit complement the similarly citrusy flavors of Blanco Tequila.
- Cheese: A fresh Mexican cheese like queso fresco or panela goes beautifully with a crisp Blanco Tequila. Like Blanco Tequilas, fresh cheeses don't have much age and impart light mineral flavors.
Browse Our Blanco Tequilas Here!
If you're looking to experience the bright yet bold flavors of Blanco Tequila, look no further than Sip Tequila. With a variety of beloved brands, including El Tequileño, Siete Leguas and more, you can easily find an old or new favorite from our premium Tequila selection.
Whether you need Tequilas for margaritas or something to accompany your favorite dishes, Sip Tequila has you covered. To find a spirit that speaks to your taste, browse our Blanco Tequila brands and order your bottle today!